Sunday, July 26, 2026

No Hot Water

I worked outside in the yard today. Clipped the bushes. Did weed trimming around the driveway. Cut the grass. Afterwards, I was spent. Drank a leftover McDonald's Coke. Then I went to take a shower. I let the water run for a few minutes. But when I got in the shower, the water was not hot. Even on the hottest setting, it was lukewarm at best.

Afterwards, I checked the vanity. The hot water was tepid there too. So, it was not specific to the shower handle. I went downstairs. The gas range produced a flame. So, it was not the gas supply to the house. I grabbed the hot water heater manual. Reviewed how to relight the pilot. The instructions seemed different from when I last read it.

In the basement, I saw the green light for the furnace was dim. That indicated the pilot light was indeed out. I thought you were supposed to click the lighter three times. Nope. The manual said keep clicking once a second for 90 seconds. I must have clicked for almost 30 seconds before I saw a blinking green light and hear the flame from inside the unit.

Last time I called a plumber and spent a lot of money for them to just relight my pilot flame. No can do that any more.

No comments: