Saturday, September 26, 2026

Government Job Offer

I had been looking for a new job for almost 3 months. I had applied to over 1100 job postings. I was laid off months ago. My health insurance was going to lapse. I jumped on the first job I was offered. The pay was low. $60k less than my last job. Although it was much more than the $0 I was making. It did not pay for certifications. My last job gave me $10k a year. This new job was 100% work from home. Plus it was an Oracle shop, the database I love to work with.

All of a sudden, I got a government job offer. They had interviewed me a while ago. Then they just went directly to a job offer. It was $38k more a year than my current job. They offered a $10k sign on bonus if I commit to working there 3 years. The database was Postgres, which is okay. Momoko and I took a drive to the building in rush hour. It maybe took 45 minutes. The ride home was less. I would be required to work 5 days a week on site. No work from home.

My initial reaction was to take the job due to the good pay increase plus bonus. When I weighed all the pros and cons of my current and this job offer, plus some additional research on pay and tech popularity, I decided to stay with my current job for now. Although it was a lot of work, I could maybe get a higher paying job later.

No comments: