Sunday, February 14, 2021

Internet Service Provider Shenanigans

Comcast provides our Internet service at home. Last month they started some shenanigans. They kept alerting me that we were going over our 1.2TB monthly transfer limit. The crime is that this is some arbitrary new limit that Comcast dreamed up. If we go over, Comcast says they will fine us. They encourage us to "upgrade" to unlimited data transfers. This is a classic shake down.

The best way to deal with unscrupulous companies like this is to have options. So I contacted Verizon and said I want some FIOS Internet service. It is not that Verizon is any less of a crook than Comcast. But I will pit crook against crook to win my business. Verizon is scheduled to come by in a week and set up our Internet. We will test that out.

I am going to call Comcast with my brother and see what they can do about these data overages. If they continue the shake down, I will just tell them to cancel our service. That usually puts you in touch with the team with the motivation and authority to make you happy and keep you as a customer. We just got to make sure it is not a bluff on our part, and we already have a backup Internet solution in place.

No comments: