Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Probate Court

I decided it was time to take action to probate my parents' wills. My dad had delayed in getting my mom's will processed. Now we had more work. No need to delay because we were already running into complications with the auto insurance on my dad's vehicles.

I printed out all the forms from the court web site. Spent the day filling them out. Needed info from my brother. We planned to go visit the court the first thing Monday morning. I got to my brother's house and made sure we had everything from the list of items to bring.

One item was mom and dad's will. The originals were in my brother's house. My mom's will was missing. The thing had been in my dad's lock safe for 25 years. Now it turns up missing? We ransacked the house and finally found the will. Then I decided we should take my mom's Chevy Monte Carlo to court. The thing needs to be driven occasionally.

Finding the court was no problem. My GPS got us there to the front steps. Parking was another story. There were some metered spaces on the street. They were all occupied. I tried to follow the signs to parking. All the lots required permits. Eventually I thought we were headed towards satellite parking. Instead I found none, and a copy tailed me as I slowly drove along.

Finally I drove down the street and parked in the CVS parking lot. Broke out the phone and started to Google where to park. The 4G LTE access in the parking lot was terrible. Took a long time to find the name and address of the satellite parking. I punched the address into my GPS, and we got going.

Unfortunately the GPS took us right by the parking lot, but put us on the highway. We drove around in a huge circle until we were able to get back to the parking. Initially I decided we would walk to the court house. But it was taking long so we hopped on the bus. The bus did not stop at the courthouse. It came really close though.

I found out we need to obtain nominal bonds for both my parents' estates. That would have to wait for another day. We spent so much time searching for mom's will and looking for parking that I was late for work. To be continued.

No comments: