Saturday, December 26, 2015

1-800-GOT-JUNK

I have been slowly cleaning out my basement to allow my brother to move in with us. There was a lot of stuff down there that we never use. Most of it I tossed into the trash cans that the county collects twice a week. There were some large items I hauled out to the curb. I called the bulky trash pickup for them.

Then there was the exercise equipment in the basement. Momoko wanted the stationary bike. It will be moved into our library. However the Christmas tree is in the way for now. So I hauled the bike out to the shed. Little Kat wants to keep his weights. I got rid of the weight bench he does not use. But I had to haul his weights out to the shed for storage too.

That left the treadmill and elliptical machine. Both were big and very heavy. I thought I might be able to move them with a couple guys. However why bother? I researched some junk haulers in the area. Called a local guy that came highly recommended. But he did not pick up his phone. Thus I decided to go with the big company. They just use local franchises. Still I heard about 1-800-GOT-JUNK.

I scheduled 1-800-GOT-JUNK online. They arrived a few hours later. They estimated it would cost $300 to remove the exercise equipment. And for another $250, they would take all this other trash. The two guys who came struggled getting the treadmill out of the basement. They called the home company for more help to get out the elliptical. They ended up disassembling the thing and carrying it out piecemeal.

Now my handymen need to finish adding a bathtub in the basement. They are also erecting a well to give my brother a large room that is private. Today I am going with my brother to the carpet store to re-carpet the whole basement.

No comments: