Monday, August 8, 2016

Weed Prevention

I woke up extra early on Sunday. My brother drove me to dad's house. He proceeded to go to church. I did a bit of clean up behind the back yard fence in the woods. The last yard contractors left a lot of trash back there. Then I got down to business.


The yard contractors put down mulch in the front and side of the house. Whatever they did was no good. Weed were growing up in the mulch at an alarming rate. We had to redo the work. I thought we could just spray some weed killer, roll out weed prevention fabric, and top it off with new mulch.


I had the fabric spread on about two thirds of the mulch when my brother came back. We proceeded to put mulch in the long garden in front of the house. I made sure I was the one to spread the mulch around the edges. Had to cover the excess fabric with mulch to make it look good. By the time we got to the big section, we were out of mulch.


Ran over to the local Lowes with the truck to get 22 extra bags of black strip wood mulch. We started on the big section. The combination of hard work, sun, and getting up early took its toll on me. I could not work any more. I reluctantly turned the job over to my brother. I had a bad feeling about it.


My brother proceeded to try to put the mulch around the edges. The mulch was falling over onto the sidewalk. At the end, I tried to take a broom to brush the mulch on top of the border back into the mulched areas. However this exposed the weed prevention fabric. It was a big fail. I knew this edging needed expertise, but I was just too tired to do it.


I decided to leave it as is, finish up watering the grass, and return the next weekend. There is no good lesson here other than it is tough work doing landscaping. And you need a certain expertise to get it done right. Even the professional guy were hired screwed it up.

No comments: