Monday, September 5, 2016

Grass Clippings

In the old days, I used to bag up my grass clippings in black hefty plastic trash bags. Then I would put the bags out for trash collection. These days we generate a lot of other trash. That means there is not a lot of room for bags of grass in there.


So I turned to setting the grass out for yard clippings collections which comes once a week. The yard clippings service is free in our county. They now requires that you put grass clippings in paper bags. I started doing that. The problem is when I cut the grass early. The grass ferments and gets nasty. The paper bags can't contain the grass for long.


I tried to put the grass temporarily in plastic trash bags, then transfer it over to paper bags just before yard clippings pickup. That did not work either. The grass got nasty in the plastic bags, and the nastiness came out when I tried to transfer the grass to the required paper bags.


This week I started trying a new technique. I cut the grass and dump it out at the back of my property. I let it air out. I spread the grass around the back of the property. My intention is to rake it all up right before yard clippings collection. I hope the open air and spread out grass will prevent the nastiness before I get rid of the grass.


This should not be this hard. Maybe I should use the mulching option in the mower and just let the grass clipping stay on the lawn. That's what my brother used to do and it seems like it worked.

No comments: