Thursday, July 6, 2017

Recliner Chair Shopping

My recliner in the family room has some problems. When I try to lean back in it, I hear a wicked creaking sound. The recliner has lasted for a while. I originally bought two of them for $300 each during a super sale at a reputable furniture store. I guess it is time to replace them both.

Momoko and I set off on a recent holiday to go furniture shopping. I decided to start with a store I saw a circular ad for. It had the cheapest recliners. We had to go into a bad section of town to get to the store. I tried to use my car GPS to get there. It could not find the address.

So as I near the turn to get onto the store's road, I get in the wrong lane. We enter a shopping center with cheaper stores like Atlantic grocery. This shopping center parking lot was treacherous. Then we get on the right road but in the wrong direction. Finally we arrive at the store.

The store had no air conditioning. Just a lot of fans blowing. The sales staff was friendly. The recliner I saw had no assist in getting back into the upright position. Too hard to do that manually. They had a more expensive power recliner. But it went from upright to fully reclined - no in between, so no sale.

The sales consultant sent us to another discount furniture store. They did not have power recliners on display. I did sit in a nice loveseat which is part of a seat that includes a power recliner. The problem was that the cost for the recliner was about double what I want to pay.

Momoko and I took a break before driving to an upscale furniture store. We ate some burritos and chile con queso. Sat in about 15 power recliners at the upscale store. I only fell in love with one of them. The problem was that the cost was 4x what I wanted to pay.

Back at home I found my recliner problem had mysteriously gone away. So for now I am going to hold tight and look for sales. I will eventually need to break down and buy some new furniture. Just not today.

No comments: