Thursday, November 18, 2021

Retaining Wall Moved

Today I put the finishing touches on the retaining wall section that I moved. It previously was directed diagonally, ending very close to our back chain link fence. That prevented me from easily walking past it down the hill on the other side. Instead I moved the 8 foot section to be perpendicular to our chain link fence.

I realized that as I nailed the wire mesh into the wood lumber, I used nails that were too long. They stuck out in the back of the wall. That seemed like a dangerous hazard. I was not going to unearth the crushed rock and pull the nails out. Instead I just hammered some thin wood to the back of the wall. This covered the exposed nails.

Today I needed to collect leaves on the hill, which is located on the other side of the retaining wall. First I used the leaf blower to send them in a pile near the bottom of the hill. Then I ran my lawn mower past the new wide entry between the chain link fence and the wall. Easy. I wish I had done this a long time ago.

In the future, I may add another 8 foot section to the retaining wall. There is the start of some erosion higher up on my hill. A retaining wall extension could prevent that from happening.

No comments: