Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Day of the Viewing

I slept in a bit on the day of my dad's viewing. Turned on the cell phone when I did eventually wake up. My brother called and said there was a problem at the cemetery. I learned how to conference call three people with the iPhone. Called my brother and the cemetery rep. The grave next to where we wanted to bury my father had shifted into his lane. They could not fit the casket in there.

One solution was to shift my mom's burial container out into the row, giving dad the space he needed. The rep emailed me a consent form. My brother came over my house. We signed and scanned the docs. Disaster was averted. We headed over to the funeral home a few hours before the viewing started. Checked out the work the mortician did on dad. Good work it was. Then we decided to head back to my house.

Ate some McDonald's to ensure we would not be too hungry. Hung out inside the funeral home and waited for guests. Had lots of people from my work, my brother's work, and the old neighborhood. Saw my cousin and met his son for the first time. The room was hot and Momoko did not feel well. My best friend came a bit late, but within the viewing hours. He car was having coolant issues. Get a new car already.

The boys at work sent a wreath of white flowers to the funeral home from my company. I told my team lead to take lead and make that happen. Not that me or my family needs flowers from my office. But it looked pretty weak when they did not send any when my mom died. My brother's work decided to send money this time around.

In addition to some of the old neighbors, I saw some of the kids who grew up in my neighborhood. Some I could not even recognize. Instead of the funeral home putting some flowers on top of dad's casket, I brought a Korean War veterans cap to display on there. I was planning to give it to dad for Christmas. I am going to keep it to remember him by. RIP dad. I hope you are with mom now.

No comments: