Sunday, July 24, 2016

Hauling Junk Ourselves

I informed my boss that I was leaving work early on Friday. He told me to finish up my current task. So I punched it on the job and finished early. I had Momoko drive me to the local U-Haul rental office. I picked up the box truck that I had reserved. The air conditioning in it was ice cold.


My brother was off work when I brought the truck home. We drove it to my dad's house. Had to get the landscape guy to move his truck out of the way. First we attacked the sleeper sofa from the living room. It was tough because the sleeper kept sliding out until I secured it with rope.


Then we loaded the rest of the couches and some long construction debris. We finished up at dad's house by loading in chairs and other objects that were not long. They were put as far back in the truck as possible.


My brother called ahead and had Momoko and Kit Kat move the cars out of the driveway. I had spent the morning moving all the trash bags from behind the back fence to the driveway. My brother I and loaded them into the truck. The back door barely closed.


The next morning, we drove down to the county dump. Got there 10 minutes before opening. There was already a line of 10 to 15 cars ahead of us. We got sent to a single site. Trash bags got loaded into a dumpster. Most furniture and wood went into a pile. My bro ran the metal to the other pile.


I gassed up back near dad's. Picked up a bunch of items that we needed to transport to my house. There was a surprise when I turned the truck in. They charged me $1.29 a mile, versus the $1.00 that the rep quoted me when I reserved the truck. I was too tired to fight this injustice, but I won't be going back to that store.

No comments: