Friday, August 23, 2019

Refinancing

I am half way through paying off my home mortgage loan. Back when I bought the house, mortgage interest rates were around double what they are today. For a long time, I did not sweat this. I wrote off the interest paid on my taxes. Recent Trump laws are capping what I can write off on my taxes. It is time to refinance this high interest loan.

So I called up 3 lenders when I had the time. They all varied in closing cost fees and interest rates. I thought I would just go with the lowest cost option. I called up my sales dude a few times. He never answered his phone. Not a good sign. Eventually I almost forgot about refinancing.

Then my lender sent me something in the mail, encouraging me to refinance to save money. I called up my lender and decided to bite the bullet. Interest rates had fallen a little since the last time I looked. It was weird that everything could be handled electronically, even the signing of documents. The only in-person activity would be closing. I chose a title company that would send somebody out to my house to do the closing here.

No comments: