Saturday, May 7, 2022

Car Purchase Failure

Kit Kat, her boyfriend, and I took up trip up North on a lead for a new 2022 Hyundai Accent. My car was in the shop. So I drove Little Kat's car. Halfway to the dealership, we shopped at Dunkin Doughnuts for breakfast. It seemed like the dining room was closed. They set it up for us and we dined in.

When we got to the dealership, we found it small. The wind kept banging on the large windows behind the sales guy's desk. We were dismayed to find they did not have the car. It was scheduled to arrive sometime this month.

The sales guy tried to get Kit Kat to put a $500 deposit on a car that would arrive in the future. I reviewed the numbers. The top line was much higher than MSRP. I pressed them on this discrepancy. They confessed that there was about $1400 of markup built into that price. It was for add ons.

I said that since they have not taken delivery, they could skip any add-ons and remove that garbage fee. They said they would not do that. They tried to argue that CarMax sells used cars for more than them. Kit Kat got them to agree to a special low financing, and argued with them about a new college graduate discount.

Even with assorted incentives, they were still $500 over MSRP. I told the sales guy we needed to talk privately amongst ourselves. We went out to Little Kat's car. The sales guy came to the car and said there was another customer on the phone wanted to put a deposit on the car. I told him we still needed time to talk.

The salesman returned to our car again and said the manager needed to know immediately whether we would put a deposit on the car. I told him I would answer for Kit Kat. And the answer was no. We were not even sure if they were getting the trim we wanted. Too much shifty stuff going on. When pressed, the sales guy told us the deposit was non-refundable. Fail.

No comments: