Friday, April 14, 2023

Fence Repair

I noticed the fence in the back yard was rotting away. For a while, I would just nail new pickets. But everything is rotting. Nailing causes more damage to the fence than it fixes. The right way would be to tear everything down and start from scratch. That is a ton of work and money. So I improvised.

When they installed my mega driveway, they save a few spans of fencing which I kept. Therefore I cut out some rotting sections of fence. I left up the posts. Then I nailed this old fencing to the posts. It does not look great, as it is just the middle section of my whole fence. But it gets the job done.

One interesting finding was that two of the posts were falling down. I ribbed them out with the pickets attached. I thought about digging a new post hole. However there was concrete in the ground. I used a spade to remove the dirt in the middle. Then I sledgehammered the original post back in the hole. Bingo.

I should be good for another 6 months to a year easily. Maybe even longer if I can put up with the shoddy look.

No comments: