Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Kindling Container

Every week I pick up small sticks in the yard. Normally I send them off to the county for disposal. However I keep the sticks that are right sized for kindling. I used to put this kindling in old trash cans. All the cans are filled up. Next I started piling them up behind the house under a tarp. But the sticks keep falling down the side of the pile.

It was now time to build some kind of enclosure for this kindling. Eventually I was a huge enclosure for them. Right now I just want to prevent the kindling from falling down the side of my pile. I measured everything. Then I decided I would brace two sides of my pile with walls.

The walls were just assorted pieces of wood I had. I joined these pieces together with 2x3 lumber. The overall effect was kind of patchy due to the lack of wood and the weird size of the pieces I had. The nails were too long and stuck out when I nailed through. So I added blocks to the nail points for safety.

Now that this is done, it seems my kindling pile is high. I might be able to add to it for a little while. But it will rise above the sides of my walls I just constructed. Time to buy more plywood and lumber to build a huge kindling enclosure. I have a spot on the steep hill in the back yard where I think I will locate this new storage.

No comments: