Friday, June 28, 2024

Tree Dead on the Property Line

There was a dead tree in the neighbor's yard. The branches reached over top of our yard. At first a huge branch feel and took out the railings on the ramp to the big shed. Then another big branch took out a section of our fancy fence. I approached our neighbor and said I could pay for half to cut the tree down.

The neighbor researched tree cutting companies. He found a steal of a deal to cut down the tree for $1550. On the day of the scheduled cut, they people did not show up. At lunch I asked the neighbor if we were still on. He said they were delayed one day. I gave him a check for half the cost.

The tree guys came early. They attached ropes to trees around the dead tree. I moved our cars down the street. I set up shop in our back yard. Ate my lunch. Read my Oracle and fiction books. Waited for them to get busy. They took a long lunch break but got to work.

Their technique was one of pulleys with ropes. They used a sling shot to shoot up a weight attached to the end of a rope. Most of the time, the guy up in the tree would lower a rope. The guys on the ground would attach another rope. Then that rope would be tied to the branch that was being cut.

They used a small power shovel to move most downed branches. They threw even large branches in the chipper. They left quite a tall tree to cut in one fell swoop. I spoke with my neighbor as he was watching too. The guys left a lot of branches and bark in my yard. I spent the evening cleaning it up. Not mad because the total bill was just $1550.

No comments: