Thursday, November 20, 2014

Help a Brother Out

I used to work with a guy in my last company. We went out to lunch every day. I left the company. He was later let go from the company when there was no more work for him to do. I moved to a new company. I tried to get this buddy to come join my company. He passed on the opportunity. He knew my company was not for him. It is too crazy where I work.

My buddy has very specialized skills. Plus he is older. That combination, along with a somewhat weak job market, means he is unemployed. Luckily he collected unemployment for a few years. He also got an inheritance to help him out. But he can't stay like this forever. He has been out of work for a while. That fact too makes it hard for him to get employer.

I was encouraged to see that he got on Linked In.His profile looks good with a lot of connection. Now he is looking to get certified in databases. I did the cerfitification thing around five years ago. He asked me how my training went. I advised him to stay away from the computer program based trainng. Those were horrible. The in-class sessions were good but very expensive.

I told my buddy he could borrow all my course materials from the in-class sessions. I have not touched the documentation in 5 years. Was going to meet my buddy at my house today. But he is having car trouble. Hopefully I will see him next week and he can hit the books. It seems having the certification badge helps you get through some doors, and hopefully a job!

No comments: