Friday, November 18, 2016

Sold This Old House

Today I stopped work an hour early. My brother and I drove out to the title company office to sell dad's house. We took the back roads because we were travelling during rush hour. It took a while to find the building. It was tough to get to the entrance. We circled around, and made some U-turns before locating the entrance.

Then we needed to get some dinner. My brother took the main road for a while, but there was nothing in site. I directed him to the closest strip. Immediately we say Popeyes Chicken, Arbys Roast Beef, and Chik-Fil-A. We stopped for some Chik-Fil-A. They bring your meal out to your table. We had a quick bite to eat.

Even though we found the building once, it was harder once it was dark. We get there and all the doors are locked. I tried called security, but they said we were not on the list. Our processor came down and let us in. The buyers were waiting outside too.

The main buyer did not speak English at all. His agent was bilingual, but he left his reading glasses at home. Somehow we struggled through the forms. I opted to have the sale proceeds wired to my dad's account. There was a surprise wire fee at the last minute. But that was water under the bridge.

The buyer did complain that one door in the house did not open. I would have obliged him, but the time for inspections and notice of defects had long passed. So I just told him it had been 40 years since that door was open. Now this chapter of our lives is finished. Maybe we will drive by the old neighborhood next summer.

No comments: