Tuesday, August 21, 2018

New Wireless Network

Previously I had paid for the Internet access in our house. Got a great introductory rate from Verizon. After that promotion ended, the price more than doubled. Fair enough. Then the price increased mysteriously again. My brother had since got us Comcast Internet. So I wanted to cancel the Verizon service. One problem - my main printer was on the Verizon network.

Finally I decided to do something about this. I wanted to remotely log into the printer, switch it to the Comcast network, and be done with this Verizon service. Used my browser to log in. I was able to specify the new network. But I did not find any place to put the network password. That seemed strange. How could the printer log into our locked down Comcast network?

Then it dawned on me. I did not reconfigure the printer. I reconfigured the Verizon wireless router. Now both the Comcast and Verizon wireless routers were broadcasting with the same network name. Had an emergency family meeting to let everyone know what was going on. Restored the Verizon network name. Then I moved the printer to the other network.

Tried to call up Verizon to cancel. Apparently their office is closed. I had to jump through many hoops in the automated Verizon phone tree. Now I recall another reason why I should cancel Verizon. Their customer service stinks.

No comments: