Wednesday, February 20, 2019

The Passing of Karl Lagerfeld

Karl Lagerfeld died yesterday. He was reportedly 85 years old. I only knew of his signature look. Always wore very high collars. Usually had a fat tie. Always had his sunglasses on. People say he also wore fingerless gloves a lot.

Lagerfeld was of German descent, but moved to France to be near fashion. He won a contest early on by designing a coat. Yves Saint Laurent won a prize in that contest as well for a dress design. Lagerfeld eventually became the creative director of Chanel in 1983, a position he held until his death.

Karl reminded me of my prior interest in high fashion. So I went to the store and picked up a bunch of magazines. I thought W magazine would be the best. It seems a lot thinner these days. I was surprised that Marie Claire had the best pictures and articles. Both Elle and Vogue were thick magazines, but I found them lacking. Nevertheless I subscribed to them all.

No comments: