Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Vacation Car Purchase

I had decided I wanted to buy a new car instead of renting one every time we visited Momoko's dad. Had some bad run ins with the local Kia dealership. Then my mind turned to the Hyundai Elantra. I fit pretty well in the back of it. I called up the dealership. Turns out they have a ton of rebates I do not qualify for. No need going there to pay full MSRP on the thing.

Was running out of cars that had a large back seat. Then I thought I might just find a little car that only has good front seat room. I decided to go with the Chevy Spark. Kit Kat and I had tested a manual transmission Spark a couple years ago. I liked it except for the price and the back seat.

This time around, I found a dealer close to Momoko's dad's house. I called them up. They said the only rebate I did not qualify for was the local buyer's one of $500. Their discount was so deep I decided to go check it out anyway.

They had a black 2019 Chevy Spark on sale for just under $11k. I had to pay an extra $500 because I was out of state. The thing was Spartan - no power locks/windows/mirrors. But it did have a backup camera. The acceleration was decent for a small car.

The real deciding factor was the attitude of the salesman and his manager. They were low key. No high pressure sales. It took 30 minutes for me to decide to buy the thing. This dealership did not have the ability to do an electronic transfer of funds to pay for the vehicle. And I had left my checkbook back home for my brother to pay my bills. Therefore I financed the thing.

I decided beforehand that a 3% APR was good, and that I would not settle for more than 5% APR. When the sales manager came out with some sample monthly payments that I had to sign for, I did the math and found them to correspond to almost 9% APR. No way. I had excellent credit.

The sales manager said he only wanted to know how long I wanted to finance the car for. I chose 48 months because that is the period I have always used to purchase cars. When I got to the finance guy, he told me he could get me a national bank to fund me under 5%. Perfect. That sealed the deal.

I did have some problems trying to obtain insurance for the car. That is a long story, definitely for another post.

No comments: