Sunday, April 7, 2019

Erecting a Birdhouse

I had previously bought a bird feeder pole to mount the birdhouse I gave Momoko. It seemed too difficult. So today I borrowed my brother's truck and went to Lowe's. Momoko accompanied me. The parking lot there was very full. Momoko thought we should turn around and go home. I charged on.

There were no flat bed carts available. Instead I got a lumber cart. First I picked up some drainage gravel. Then I got some quick dry cement. They had no Quick-Crete. Had to settle for Sak-Crete. Finally I picked up a 10 foot treated 4x4 piece of lumber.

I dug a deep hole on our hill. Filled the bottom with draining rock. I mounted the birdhouse on a ledge. Then I nailed the ledge to the 4x4. Stood the 4x4 up in the hole. Poured in water one-third of the way down. Then dumped in concrete.

We can now view the birdhouse from our bay window. I hope some birds come to live there. Before throwing it out, I read the directions for the birdhouse. It said not to create a ledge. Oops. Other birds like ledges. But bluebirds don't need them.

No comments: