Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Auto Renewal Scam

Last year I subscribed to a bunch of fashion magazines. The subscription rate is heavily discounted compared to the cover price. The only magazine that continues to be a slam dunk is Marie Claire. The other ones are just meh.

Today I got my monthly copy of Elle magazine. They slipped in a notice that I was enrolled in their "continuous service program". That means they automatically renew my subscription each year and charge me. What a scam.

I logged into their customer service web site online. It took a long time to find a way to opt out of their auto-renewal. I actually don't trust them one bit. So I need to try to be vigilant, and reject any future fraudulent charges. I really ought to just cancel my subscription to avoid the hassle.

Magazine, as well as other print media, are on the downward slope. They are losing subscribers. I suspect it is because everything is online these days. Now is not the time to turn to cheap tricks to try to keep readers. I wonder if it would do any good to write the editor.

No comments: