Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Training Week

My company announced that we could receive free training during the month of January. It had to be related to the Microsoft Azure cloud platform. The training was being held at sites from a training company I used to frequent. Sign me up!


One problem was that most of the training was being offered on the other side of town. The commute would be murderous. So I asked my boss if the company could pay for a hotel. The training itself was free after all. After some haggling, I got approved to get a hotel.


This morning I took the back roads to the first training site. It was strange when I arrived. Looked like there was only 1 class being offered. And there were only 2 other students present, both from my company. Turns out the other 30+ students were dialing in and learning remotely. At least they still had an option to order lunch and have it delivered.


The instructor ran a bit late in the afternoon, trying to coach the class on how to pass the optional exam. I was not interested in any exam. But his coaching was still instructional. Afterwards, I got into traffic and traveled to the second training location. Over an hour later, I pulled up to the hotel.


The hotel did not look like a hotel at all. I confirmed the address. Was surprised that the hold on my card was more than the amount I expected. Seems they also hold some for incidentals. I checked out their complimentary light dinner. Ate a lot of pizza. So much that they ran out. Tried to drink what I thought was apple juice. One taste and I knew it was wine. Yikes.

No comments: