Sunday, August 2, 2020

Roof Install Troubles

The guys came early to install our roof. They started ripping the old roof off around 6:30am. I think that is illegal in our jurisdiction. I did not stop them, as the weather would only get hotter during the day. I went out and watched them tear off the old shingles. There were two layers of roofing up there. They also pulled out all the plywood under the shingles. They said it was too thin.

They asked me to look around as they were finishing up. I had to climb up to the second story to see the back of the house. Had them do more work on some of the flashing. One of the flashing over the apron behind the chimney was the wrong color. They said the roofing company sent them that color.

The main problem was that the roof was not at a uniform height where the edge of it met the rain gutters. This was defective on both the second and first story roofs. Also, there was an indentation in the middle of the roof over the front door.

The project manager called and said he would call back with a schedule for somebody to come, inspect, and resolved my problems. Never heard back from the guys. That was a few weeks ago. I called their production department. Got promises of calls. Never got them. Time to escalate to management. I am not too worried. I am withholding the final payment of over $10k. Somebody will eventually notice that and get in touch with me.

No comments: