Sunday, October 25, 2020

Microsoft Certification Exam

I have a goal of getting a Microsoft certification this year. The one I want requires two exams. For the first one, I took a Udemy video course. It was not that helpful. Then I studied the Microsoft prep guide. A little better. The last thing I did was rent access to sample tests. They helped. But they were buggy.

My normal and backup testing sites were closed down due to COVID-19. So I found another open site near my house. The next available testing date was Saturday. I arrived there early, and read an eBook in my car. When I got in, the lobby of the testing suite was crowded. Eventually I got led back to the test room.

I read the first exam question. When I tried to answer it, the program crashed. The administrator tried a lot of things to get me back into the exam. He restarted the software a few times. He rebooted my PC a few times. I think he even rebooted the server. Eventually he got me in, but the software knew there had been an error. The admin had to call the testing company to unlock my exam.

The admin assured me I would get the allotted time for my exam. However the exam was a 2.5 hour one. My clock showed under 2 hours remaining when he got me back in. The testing company said there was nothing they could do. I said forget about the time, and got to work. There was one more surprise in the question format. Some questions had me writing code. Never saw that in any practice exams.

In the end I passed the test with flying colors. Now I am hitting the books for the second exam.

No comments: