Thursday, June 1, 2023

I Saw Hamilton

I saw the Broadway musical Hamilton today. I picked up Momoko's niece at her house. Gave her two bags of clothes from Kit Kat. Then we drove downtown. We got to the theater a couple hours early. That allowed us to get front row parking. I tried to pay for parking at a kiosk. The screen was not working well. I got a pass for only 1 hour. I needed closer to two. Luckily when I entered my license plate, it allowed me to add time to my current pass.

Momoko's niece said she walks 1.5 hours a day. So she thought the walk to dinner would be no problem. We ended up having to sit down half way there. She had to do some texting before dinner which was odd. We got dinner at a Thai food restaurant. At first we were the only guests. I ordered Pad Thai. The noodles were much thinner than I expected. They served crushed peanuts on the side. We waited until 30 minutes to the show. The we walked back to the theater.

We got through security and visited the bathrooms. Then we entered the theater. I asked an usher how to get to my seats. She told me to go down the center aisle and we would be right at our seats. I was confused as our seats were 5 and 6, but the numbers I saw were 105 and 106. We sat down anyway. Eventually another usher asked to see our tickets. She said we were on the correct row. But we needed to move further right.

The view was not as good in these new seats. But they were much roomier, with each of us having our own arm rests. Momoko's niece studied the cast before the show. She immediately realized that Hamilton was being played by the first understudy, not the main actor. His voice was not strong. The buy playing Aaron Burr was a good singer. It was a long first act. I thought the musical was over. But it was only intermission.

I was surprised when Hamilton's wife used real fire to light a piece of paper on stage. I was also perplexed that the whole cast took a bow, However, they did not come out individually after the show. We snuck out the side entrance. But had to walk all the way around the building. I saw an opening and backed out of our spot and got in line to get the heck out.

This live version was a totally different experience than seeing the musical on TV. Even though most of the singing was piped through speakers, it was wild seeing everyone dance around on stage. I was thinking this may have been the show of the century. It was good. But I have high hopes to maybe catch Disney's Frozen one day.

No comments: