Thursday, September 28, 2023

Flying the Friendly Skies

I was browsing Reddit. Saw an ad from Southwest airlines. You can save 50% of fares for the next two days. Thought this was too good to be true. There were a ton of blackout dates. But I found a week early in January that qualifies. Each way to and from grandpa kat's town was $92.

Since I reclaimed my vacation car from grandpa's driveway to my house, I would need a rental car. I wanted the option to reserve and pay when I pick up the car. At first, even the least expensive cars went for $450 a week. That seemed pretty steep. I guess I could go and just borrow grandpa's car. But I drive a least a couple times a day. It felt like an excessive ask.

I contemplated visits to other places like Buffalo, NY. But that would also incur hotel fees. I checked Expedia for check motels. There were some that would cost me $500 for the week. But the reviews were not too enticing. I would also need a rental once I got there. So I was definitely priced out of NY.

At the last minute, I somehow found a rental for $365 a week in grandpa's town. I immediately made a reservation. It is for a small sedan like a Chevy Malibu. Momoko's brother-in-law rental one once. He said it had no power. As long as it gets me from point A to B, I am not complaining. My flight is booked and paid for. Momoko and grandpa did not see the notification from Southwest about my trip. Oh well.

No comments: