Monday, February 15, 2016

Clearing out the House

My brother seems to be settling into my house nicely. I will give him some time. But I suspect he will live with me for the future. That means we will probably sell my dad's house. There is over 40 years worth of stuff in there.


I initially figured my brother and I could spend a few hours each week going through the stuff. Going to throw out a lot of trash. Keep some treasures. This week our initial task was to clean out the secondary fridge and freezer. Last week we took out the food and shut off the power. This week I scrubbed down the insides.


After that, we went through two cardboard boxes of dad's belongings. I sorted them into items we could throw out, items we needed to shred, and items we should keep. Tax info gets shredded. Most letters and school stuff got dumped. I saw a bunch of letters my mom wrote dad almost 50 years ago.


I did run into some problems cleaning up. A glass lamp shade fell down and shattered on the floor. Then I tried bagging some flowers that I thought were fake. Nope. Turned out to be real. They leaked some type of fluid everywhere that needed to be cleaned up.

No comments: