Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Job Search


I have been working on a project at work for a really long time. Talking 15+ years here. The system seems to finally be getting replaced. I was part of the first round of downsizing on the project. My boss told me he had a position doing analysis for one of the systems that is replacing my old system.


Now I love doing programming. Analysis not so much. But hey. I need work. So I transitioned over into the next project. It was slow to start. But I started figuring things out. Then the customer changed direction and said they no longer wanted analysis. And like that, my position was eliminated.


My boss told me I could go back to my old job. I started working on some old tasks. Then I got word from my boss that my old project did not have the funds to cover me. LOL wut? I had previously identified another cool project to move to. But they have a long onboarding process. Might take another year before all the background work is done to start that task.


Right now I am "on the bench". That means I am still employed by my company. I just don't have any projects to work on (and thus I am not making my company any money). This is not a good position to be in. I am trying to find another project at work. This is an uphill battle.

No comments: