Sunday, March 27, 2016

Story About Dad

My brother and I visit my dad's old house each weekend. We go through all the things in the house. Most of the items we bag up for throwing away. Papers are the hardest thing. Got to read through them to see if there is anything worth keeping or noting.


Today we came across some interesting documents my dad kept. They were the court proceeding of a case where he was the defendant. He had borrowed my uncle's car and was driving two people. One of the people in the car sued dad. They claimed that he went off the road for no reason.


This plaintiff allegedly flew out through the windshield when dad hit a tree on the side of the road. The plaintiff spent almost a month in the hospital, and had to miss a lot of work. They were suing dad for a fortune.


Looks like dad hired a lawyer who did all the talking. The lawyer was able to settle the claim outside the court for a lot less money. The plaintiff agreed to release dad from any further claims given the settlement that was reached. Lucky for dad he had competent legal representation. I don't think I ever heard this story from dad.

No comments: