Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Structural Problems on the Wood Pile

Some time ago I moved our wood pile out into the middle of the yard. To protect the wood from rain, I put a huge tarp over the pile. The problem now was that water would puddle up on top of the tarp. I figured I needed the tarp to hang at an angle so the water would naturally roll off.

I quickly built half an A-frame structure with some spare wood. It was not very sturdy. But it would do to hold up the tarp. I tied the A-frame to the top of the wood pile, and covered the A-frame with my huge tarp. It mostly kept the water away from the wood.

After the latest snow storm, I found the tarp down flap on top of the wood with water pooling on top of it again. Underneath the A-frame had collapsed. I mentioned that it was constructed with haste. Now it was time to shore this structure up.

I just got a couple small pieces of wood. Nailed them in diagonally across the back of the A-frame. I don't this thing is going to be having any structural problems any more. Now I just need to tie everything down so the wind does not blow away the tarp. Dry wood. Problem solved.

No comments: