Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Driving to Work in the City

Today I was scheduled to go into my company's offices downtown. I had never been to that building. So I did some homework by Map Questing the way. I also printed out a local map. Set my alarm for really early. Unfortunately I needed to snooze a bit before making the commute during rush hour.

I was initially pleasantly surprised by how little traffic there was on the road. There was some rain, so I thought I would be doomed. Took an hour to get to the building. I had spied on a parking garage across the street using MapQuest. However when I got there, the garage was nowhere to be found.

I drove around and discovered a parking garage entrance on the side of my company's building. Pulled in there and parked where the attendant told me to. They pack the cars in, blocking the cars in the back. So I had to leave my keys.

We had a low turnout of people in our conference room. So the company did not cater lunch. However my boss took me out to a local restaurant. I like it when the company pays for good food. It earns a lot of goodwill.

Going home after work, I hoped for a smooth ride like the way in. Nope. As soon as I exited the building, I found that the main road to the highway was blocked by police. Okay. I decided to take the long way through the city. But believe it or not, my turn that way was also closed off by police.

WTF was going on? I used navigation to help me drive around the city to try to make it to some highways. Of course I was hitting construction and rush hour. Luckily my boss said that since the people who attend the meetings the most live outside the city, we were going to choose offices to meet that are also outside the city from now on. I concur.

No comments: