Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Goals at Work

At work, I am supposed to submit yearly goals. These are then used to gauge how well I do during the year. This past year, I think I just copied whatever goals I had from last year that seemed doable. My boss responded and said I should add another goal to "grow my professional network". That means get out there and meet people outside of my project team.

It took a while to get back to goal setting. But I pretty much added what my boss asked. Now I had to make some progress on that goal. The year is already 66% done. My first stop was my community college. Surely there is some type of club with tech people different than myself. All I could find was the Cyber Defense club.

There didn't seem to be much info online about the Cyber Defense club in general. I found a phone number to call about clubs in general. But nobody picked up. Instead I shot out an email to the contact for all clubs. Turns out the president of the Student Government Association responded to my email!

The Cyber Defense club had gone defunct. But the faculty member who sponsors it was thinking about trying to restart the club. Not sure if I want to get in on the ground floor here. I want to find an established organization and infiltrate its members to meet my work goal.

I did find a promising lead. There is a meet up that focuses on independent game developers in the area. Unfortunately they meet when I go to lunch with the family on the weekend. Might have to skip lunch to crash their meeting.

No comments: