Monday, March 5, 2018

Strong Winds Rip Roof Shingles

We had two days of record winds recently. At first I thought we were safe. A couple trees fell down behind the house. Did not hit anything. The trash cans below around. Chair on the patio overturned. I could live with that. Then Kit Kat said she saw some shingles in our front yard.

I was initially optimistic. The color of the shingles did not seem like they matched our roof. Plus we went out into the street and peered up at the roof. Looked intact. Later we did a more thorough inventory. We had to go way back to the woods behind our house to get a view of the back roof. Something was wrong near the apex.

Momoko thought maybe the shingles just got displaced. Little Kat took a ladder up to the roof, but could not see anything. When I spied on the roof again from a distance, it seemed like we were definitely missing shingles. Little Kat then took a pair of binoculars and confirmed my suspicion.

I am hoping my handyman can repair those missing shingles. He does not do full roof work (he will not install a new roof). But he has patched shingles and flashing on the roof for us before. The only worry now is that rain is in the forecast for this week.

No comments: