Saturday, March 23, 2019

Red Hot Chevy Spark

Little Kat and I sat in a lot of cars while we waited for the car place to give us an estimate on our current cars. In the end, he liked the Nissan Versa sedan. I liked the Jeep Renegade. Then I got down to business using an online car aggregator to research deals.

Must have called up 7 car dealerships. I am starting to get good at finding out what the actual costs are. Some dealerships have weak salesmen. They tell me I have to come in so I can see what kind of deals they will offer. I just tell them I already see the deal online, and want to find out if I qualify for that deal.

The first 6 dealerships told me I did not qualify for all the deals. That resulted in upwards of a couple thousand more in price than the one they listed online. Apparently it is a game that a lot of dealers play. It just means I have to do a lot more work to find out who is actually selling a car for a great deal.

Today I found a dealer with a low price that actually would sell me a Chevy Spark for the advertised price. They were upfront that their freight charges were high ($1200 versus the standard $875 listed on the invoice). That was actually fine by me as their discounted price was so low.

Momoko and I drove to the dealership. I took a short test drive. Then I bought the car. I signed all the documents on a big desktop that had a computer screen on it. Momoko drove the new car off the lot. I drove my old Fiat 500 to the car shop to sell it. Now I have a new car with a color called Red Hot. No lie.

No comments: