Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Registering a Car out of State

When I got my new car, I received 30 day temporary tags. Unfortunately I left the state the next day. The car remained parked in Momoko's dad's carport. Was not sure how I was going to register the car. Worst case, I would have to fly back to do the paperwork in person.

Luckily I called up the Department of Motor Vehicles there. They said I could have a relative register the car for me. I just had to get the original title from the dealership. Could even pay by credit card. But that would invoke a number of surcharges. Fine by me.

The jokers at the dealership misspelled my name on the title. They caught it, but did not generate a new title for me. Instead they just provided an addendum (an affidavit) indicating the correct spelling of my name.

Today I gathered all original documents from the dealership, added proof of insurance, and sent it all to Momoko's dad via US postal mail. I hope he gets it soon and takes care of the car registration for me. Hopefully all future DMV work will be done by me in person while on vacation out there.

No comments: