Monday, April 13, 2020

Hunt for a New Car

A got a little cash from the sale of some stock options. So I thought it might be time to get a new car. My Chevy Spark has minimal features. No power lock, power windows, or CD player. Tall people cannot fit in the back seat. Shorter people don't like the back seat. Only real benefit of the car was that it was cheap.

I spied a deal on a 2019 Jeep Renegade. The sale price was $13k. It was a bit suspicious, as the MSRP is well over $20k. However even if I had to pay another grand or two, it seemed like a deal. I suspect tall people can fit in the back due to the boxy roofline.

Doing some research, I heard that the Renegade had terrible blind spots. I had flashbacks to my Fiat 500, which was fun, but dangerous due to the blind spots. Therefore I just about gave up on the car. The price rose to $14k. Still a deal. Then the car got sold.

I might still test drive a Renegade, just to verify the claims about the blind spots. But I got a lead on a new model from Hyundai - The Venue. It is essentially a reconfigured Hyundai Accent. But the roofline seems adequate due to its boxy shape. If tall people can fit in the back, I might just get one. Local dealer has one listed for $13k. The price is a scam, but if I could get it for under $15k, I am in.

No comments: