Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Retaining Wall Repair

 

A long time ago, I hired Little Kat to build a retaining wall in our back yard. He needed money. And our hill needed support from erosion. He did a pretty good job. However over time, the dirt and rocks have started eroding under the lower plank of the wall. I decided to correct this problem myself.

I went to the hardware store and purchased some steel mesh. Then I dug out the dirt and rocks from the high side of the wall. Then I laid the mesh down behind the wall to ensure new drainage rock would not fall through, even if dirt under it washed away.

One section of the existing wall was crooked. The planks were too low on one side. The edge of this section also came close to our chain link fence, making it hard for me to pass by to the lower side of the wall. So I have decided to move that one section to higher ground. That's a lot more work, but will be beneficial in the long run.

No comments: