Sunday, October 26, 2008

Getting Rocks

Our back yard slopes down to a creek at the bottom of the hill. This is nice because all the water runs down to the creek and not into our house. However we do have a problem. The water seems to be washing away our hill.

It is getting so no cats can walk along the back side of our house. The water has washed away the ground. So all that is left is a steep slope. Time for Black Cat to come to the rescue. My plan is to build up a retaining wall to hold up our dirt and form a level path.

So far I have dug four holes, and secured four posts into the ground. I have also nailed up long plywood to form our wall. If I were a slacker cat, I would just pile up the dirt now to form our path. But if the water got stuck in all that dirt, we would have a landslide. Dirt with water is heavy. I need to build up some drainage. So today I bought a couple drainage pipes, and a bunch of crushed rock.

At first I thought I would need the store to fill my truck with the rocks. However I found out from my bro cat that they sold crushed rock in small bags. That was perfect. All this cat and his truck could carry was 10 bags today. That should make for a good start. Tomorrow I might return and buy another 10 to 12 bags of rocks. I will take some pictures when I make more progress on my work.

2 comments:

Grand Kat said...

Those bags can be real heavy! Sounds like a lot of work, hope you have the family helping you.
You will need a lot of T L C after finishing this task.

Black Cat said...

So far the family is not helping me. These bags really are heavy. And now I have to go buy a lot more bags.