Thursday, April 10, 2014

Going Old School

Momoko was looking for some old pictures. She had the physical picture. But she wanted the digital copy. All she could locate was an old 3.5 inch floppy disk. What the heck is going to read that ancient technology?

I hooked up my oldest computer. The thing needed to connect to an external CRT monitor. I could not find a PS/2 style mouse to plug into the thing. Although it had USB slots, nothing I plugged into them worked.

The computer was noisy. It also took a long time to boot up. The first boot screen (after the BIOS) was what looked to be MS-DOS. Then Windows 98 came up. I created an account and logged in. I only had keyboard access.

The thing could read the disk. The problem was how to move the files on the disk. This computer could not burn CD-ROMs. It had no wireless or hard wired network connector. For now this project is on hold.

No comments: