Friday, April 11, 2014

Mkaing a Way

Momoko had some files on a floppy disk she wanted to retrieve. I could read the disk with my old desktop computer. However I could not get them anywhere else. Today I decided to work on that problem. First thing I did was install a network card in the machine.

Windows 98 booted up. It asked for a Linksys disk with the drivers for the network card. I no longer have the disk. Had to download drivers online. What version of the network card do I have? I pulled the card out of the machine, and found the version on the side of the card.

The drivers were an executable that would not run on my laptop. I burned a copy of this executable onto a CD-ROM, then ran it on my desktop computer. Great. Now I could get on the Internet. Ooops. My browser on the computer was too old for anything.

I decided to revert back to some old tricks. Opened up a command prompt on my desktop. Used the command line FTP to copy the files up to my web host server. Then from my laptop, I was able to download the files. Now Momoko has her old pictures again.

No comments: