Monday, March 9, 2015

Heart Trouble?

I had been having some pains in my chest that would not go away. It took a while, but I finally called my doctor. They got back to me late in the day. There was no time to fit me in to see them today. However they were concerned I might be having a heart attack. They directed me to their Urgent Care Center. Unfortunately I could not get a check in time until 11:00pm at night.

Mapquest told me their center was 30 minutes away. I left an hour early. Good thing I did. They closed three of four lanes on the highway. So even though it was the middle of the night, it took a while to get there. Once there I headed to the main entrance. It was locked. WTF? I pressed the call button and waited a long time. The guard came and told me to go around to the urgent care entrance.

A nurse saw me pretty quickly. She took my blood pressure. She ran an EKG. Then she sent me to get my blood drawn. The only problem was that the doors were locked to the hall that leads to the blood lab. A nasty security guard helped me get past that door. Luckily there was a nice guard at the end of the hall who went to find a nurse to draw my blood. I got one of these bands to put on my wrist to identify who I was.

Eventually I got called into a private room. I waited for an hour until a doctor came to see me. He said my EKG looked good. He was cautiously optimistic that I was not having a heart attack. He told me to sit tight because I was not going anywhere anytime soon. Luckily I had downloaded a new book "Eternal Service" to my Kindle to prepare for such delays.

I stayed awake until around 3:00am. That's when I figured I could go to sleep because like the doctor said, I was going nowhere.

No comments: