Monday, March 2, 2015

Missed Hackathon

I have been trying to learn this popular programming language called Python for a few years. My college used to teach a course on it. However I have not seen it offered in a long while. This winter break I decided to take matters into my own hands. I got a book, and read up on the language.

Then I went back and wrote a bunch of small programs in Python. Things were looking up. Then my company decided to sponsor a Python hackathon last Friday. Perfect timing. They were planning to meet after work, buy sodas and pizza, and code the night away.

There was just one problem. I had a lot of work to do last week. It seems I was getting unlucky left and right. I took off a week from work. Somebody forgot to do their job. A computer program run got missed. Then somebody botched the delivery that was supposed to recover. The testers did not know what to test. And so on.

Turns out I was working until almost midnight last Friday, trying to finish everything that was due. On top of that, I had to work on the weekend too. No chance to attend the hackathon. Bad luck I tell ya. Just bad luck. Guess I got to power through the setback. Maybe write some more programs using Python?

No comments: