Monday, May 23, 2016

Calling in the Professionals

I had been having a fever for around four days. There were headaches that got worse at night. I could not sleep. It was a mess. Could not work. It was time to see a doctor. Turns out my primary care physician was not in. None of the other doctors at his location would pick me up to see me. Damn.


As a last resort, I made the trek to my medical company's urgent care facility. It is quite a drive. At least they have doctors there that could see me. I checked in at the front desk. They seemed unsure where to send me. They guessed. When I arrived at the section they guided me to, I was told to report to urgent care on the other side of the hospital.


I checked in and got a band placed around my wrist. This gave me flashbacks of when I came here with heart problems. A nurse checked me over and gave me a mask to wear since I was exhibiting flu-life symptoms. After that I read my Kindle app on the iPad that I brought. It helped the time pass quicker.


Eventually a nurse came and led me to a doctor. She asked me a lot of questions and listened to my chest as I breathed deeply. The diagnosis was pink eye in both eyes, plus a really bad cold. What? This felt more potent than a common cold. Luckily the drugs the doctor prescribed were all available at the pharmacy inside the facility.


I was in and out in record time. The last time I was there, I ended up staying overnight. Let's see if these prescriptions do any better. Moral of the story is to visit the doctor as soon as there is any sign of sickness.

No comments: