Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Woodpile Relocation

Momoko said she saw bees coming out of the wood stack we have in our carport. So I told her to solve the problem. That meant take down the logs, find the nest, and exterminate it. Momoko said she did not want to get stung. Nobody does. So she tried to get someone to remove the bees.


Turns out many people will remove honey bees for free. Momoko spent a lot of time trying to identify the type of bees we had. This was going nowhere. I told her to just hire an exterminator. I would even pay for them.


The bee expert came. He said these were harmless bees. He though they would be gone after the season ended, so he advised we did not exterminate them. Sounded good to me. The guy recommended we move the wood away from the house because of other pests that might decided to move from the pile to the house.


Our wood was contained in a large apparatus constructed from lumber and plywood. It was deep enough to hold a single log, and tall and wide enough to hold many of them. We only stacked it half full so we could reach the top. I had the other half of the wood stashed under my workbench behind the shed.


I took on the task to relocate the wood. First I cut our apparatus in half vertically. It was tough to reach the 2x4 board in the back corner. But I did it. Then I took to top half of the apparatus I just sawed off, turned it over, and moved it to the new location. I proceeded to fill that "half" with firewood.


Next I got my brother and Little Kat to assist with carrying the bottom half of the apparatus to the new location. The bottom had 4x4 risers that made the whole thing heavy. I finished by stacking the rest of the wood in this bottom half. Now we got two halves side by side, almost filled to the brim with firewood.


For now I have a small tarp covering the top of the wood. But I want to secure it all from moisture and bugs. So I ordered a huge tarp to wrap everything up.

No comments: