Thursday, May 24, 2018

Smelly Shoes

Previously I had climbed up on the ladder and cleaned out the rain gutters. This was required since the water was not flowing down the spouts. It was spilling over the sides of the gutter. Not sure the exact cause, but the sitting water smelled really bad in the gutter.

After I was done, I smelled too. So I took a shower. Ran my clothes through the washer. Hand washed my work gloves. Then I just dried my soaked shoes. It took a couple days. Eventually the shoes were dry. But they smelled bad.

I am always careful to wear fresh socks on my feet when I wear my shoes. This allows my shoes to smell nice even after lots of use. So I think after this rain gutter business, the rancid water transferred something nasty into my shoes.

I tried washing my shoes in a bucket with some laundry detergent by hand. It helped some. But there was still an underlying scent of nastiness. Time to take it to another level. I broke out a box of tea bags. Lined my shoes with about 50 tea bags each. Held the tea bags against the shoes tightly by stuffing balled up newspaper in there.

Let's hope this does the trick. I really like these shoes. They are extra wide for added comfort. They have Velcro straps for quick securing.

No comments: