Sunday, August 5, 2012

Laptop Sale

I scoured the Sunday advertisements as usual this week. We get them a day early which is handy. I only found one deal worth pursuing. Target was selling a Gateway laptop computer for $250. The regular price was $380. You say a whopping $130. I decided to do some surveillance the day before the sale. Momoko decided to tag along.

I found an electronics department salesman. He showed me where they keep all their laptops. He pointed to one he thought was the sale item. I told him the item numbers did not match. Then he found the actual computer. There were three on the shelf. He said there were six more in the back.

I pressed the sales guy for more info. The store opened at 8am on the day of the sale. I found out which counter I needed to run to in order to purchase one of the laptops. I lalso found out that there is an informal policy of only one sale item per customer if other customers are waiting for the same item. Finally I confirmed that this was a straight $250 sale. No rebates or other gimmicks.

Momoko made me inform Kit Kat about the sale. She wanted to buy one too. I was concerned that she needed to save her money for college. However she has been working long weeks, so she has some extra cash. Kit Kat woke up early today and knocked on my bedroom door to make sure I was awake. I left the house 30 minutes before the store opened. Kit Kat accompanied me.

We pulled up to the store and saw a lot of cars. Kit Kat figured they were just employees opening the store. She was right. I waited until 1 minute before the store opening. Turns out they opened the doors 2 minutes before official open. Four people walked in the store before us. I rushed to the electronics department. Nobody was there.

I had Kit Kat ask an employee to help us. They called up the electronics dude who ran down the aisle. He got us each a new Gateway laptop. There was a delay as the electronics department cash registers were all turned off. I knew we were good because the guy pulled the two laptops for Kit Kat and myself. There was no way we were leaving the store without these computers.

No comments: