Saturday, August 4, 2012

Sleepys was Asleep

Previously I had purchased Kit Kat a new bed frame which included built in box spring support. I also bought her a head board which serves as her bookshelf. Now we just needed to get her a new mattress. Kit Kat has hard days at work. She is standing up most of the time. Sometimes she needs to work long shift. It will only get worse when she also has to go to college (and work).

I brought Kit Kat to the same store where I bought Little Kat's mattress. We tried out 15 to 20 mattresses. I found three that I liked. Kit Kat only liked one. Luckily the one she picked was one of the three I thought were best. There was just one problem. The matress alone listed at $749. I was planning to pay half that price. The salesman said he would sell it to me for $699.

I told the sales guy that I would need to check some other stores to ensure this was not a $300 matrees. He took me to his computer to show what some of the other popular stores label this specific bed. He also looked me up in his system and saw I purchased Little Kat's bed at his store. He told me he would give another $100 off for customer loyalty, bringing the price down to $599. I still needed to see what the going rate for the bed was at other stores.

Kit Kat and I drove to Sleepys, a bed store that has been advertising a lot lately. I told the saleslady there that I needed a price quote. She said she needed to to an analysis on Kit Kat first. So Kit Kat had to answer a bunch of questions on a computer. Kit Kat also had to lay on a test bed and answer more questions.

I saw what this saleslady was doing. She was trying to justify selling me a pricier bed. She guided us to an $1100 bed. I told her I just wanted a quote on the bed we specified. It turned out to be $614. As we walked out, she said she could offer 10% more off. No deal.

I returned to the original store later. I put in an order for the bed Kit Kat liked. We pick it up later this week. Kit Kat is stoked.

No comments: