Thursday, December 4, 2014

Function Over Fashion

Today was the last day of my class for the semester at school. I told my boss at work that I needed to leave early. Good thing I did that because things were busy at work today. I even had to delay lunch a bit. I did eat a hearty meal because I would not be able to get dinner until after my final exam.

The instructor gave us a little surprise at the start of class. He told us we needed to demo our final projects before we took the exam. I was happy that I decided to bring my laptop to class that had my final project in demo form.

The other guys in class had what looked like impressive projects. Their graphics were hot and they had a lot of bells and whistles in their web sites. However I noticed they did not get down to business and implement the required parts of the assignment. The instructor noticed it too. LOL. These guys got some scrambling to do after the exam to get their projects in order.

I was done the exam in no time. Part of the test was auto-graded. I got marked wrong on one answer I was sure was correct. So I decided to email the instructor when I got home. Luckily he figured out the auto-grade problem while I was driving home and fixed the answer. I knew that answer was correct.

The class I took this semester centered around learning a web tool. Personally I like doing custom programming. This class had minimal coding to it. That was strange given that a prerequisite for the course was a hard programming class. I did not apply myself this semester. It was not a complte waste. I can use the stuff I learned to stand up web sites. But I hope to get more programming in during next semester at school.

No comments: